What is GLOBAL G.A.P ?
GLOBAL G.A.P. is an internationally recognized set of farm standards dedicated to Good Agricultural Practices (GAP). The requirements that are made on a worldwide level of agricultural and market gardening businesses in terms of food safety, shelf life and quality.
Through certification, producers demonstrate their adherence to GLOBAL G.A.P. Standards.
GLOBAL G.A.P. offers Producers one core product: GLOBAL G.A.P. Certification which is available for 3 scopes of production: Crops, Livestock, Aquaculture.
Why GLOBAL G.A.P ?
Through GLOBAL G.A.P. Certification, you can demonstrate your commitment to Good Agricultural Practice to your retailers & buyers and provide reassurance for consumers. In addition to this, we show our commitment to protect our scarce resources by the implementation of Good Agricultural Practices with a promise for a sustainable future.
For Indian farmers and exporters, Compliance to GLOBAL G.A.P is must for export of various fresh fruits and vegetables to European Countries.
Flowchart for GLOBAL G.A.P Certification:
Option 1 (Individual Producer):
Option 2 (Producer Group) :
Common pitfalls for GLOBAL G.A.P certification in India:
- Cultural Practices of farmers in India and use of chemicals in India for specific crops mainly Fruits and Vegetable to be harmonized according to GLOBALG.A.P. Scheme.
- Specific geographic and cultural differences in India.
- Small Land holding and scattered land holding of farmers in India
- Limited Label Recommendations crops. E.g. various vegetables do not have label recommendations.
- Pre –Harvest intervals no mentioned on many Plant Protection Products.
- Cost for Implementation of GLOBAL G.A.P. Standard on small farms.
GLOBAL G.A.P. Certification in India:
EUROCERT is first Certification Body to certify Producer for GLOBAL GAP in India in Year 2004. Since 2004 EUROCERT is certifying Individual and Producer Groups in increasing numbers.
In India ,major share is of Grapes producers followed by Mango, Pomegranate Producers.
Now a days demand of GLOBAL G.A.P. Certification for various vegetables is increasing due to awareness created by various Government Departments, Certification bodies, GLOBAL G.A.P Seminars etc.
GLOBAL GAP ADD -ON
GLOBAL G.A.P.+ Add-On offers producers and exporters a voluntary add-on modules to enhance the core product and adapt it better. In India since Fresh Fruits like Grapes, Pomegranates has major stake in GLOBAL G.A.P. Certification, Add-On like GRASP and NURTURE MODULE are opted by many Producers and Producer Groups. These Add – On modules are assessed along with GLOBAL G.A.P which gives added advantage of being cost effective.
GRASP means GLOBAL G.A.P. Risk Assessment on Social Practice.
GRASP is a voluntary module developed to assess social practices on the farm, addressing specific aspects of workers’ health, safety and welfare.
Considering social aspects, GLOBAL GAP has developed GRASP add on module which can be assessed together with the GLOBAL G.A.P. audit. The GRASP assessment is valid for one year and assessments are conducted annually.
GRASP helps producers establish a good social management system on their farms. It offers buyers added assurance. And it helps protect one of the farm’s most important resources: its people.
BENEFITS OF GRASP:
- Improves your farm social management system.
- Reduces costs of fluctuation, accidents and breakdowns as it supports clear communication.
- It demonstrates your commitment to social responsibility.
- It raises your standing among suppliers and buyers.
- It reduces your risk for social non-compliances.
It is add on developed by GLOBAL GAP which is required by producers supplying fresh fruit, vegetable and salad products to TESCO. It makes sure that best agricultural practices are applied in the production of the produce.