OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH AND SAFETY MANAGEMENT SYSTEM
OHSAS 18001 can be adopted by any organization wishing to implement a formal procedure to reduce the risks associated with health and safety in the working environment for employees, customers and the general public.
The OHSAS specification is applicable to any organisation that wishes to:
- Establish an OH&S management system to eliminate or minimize risk to employees and other interested parties who may be exposed to OH&S risks associated with its activities.
- Implement, maintain and continually improve an OH&S management system
WHAT IS OHSAS 18001:2007
OHSAS 18001 is an international standard giving requirements related to health and safety management systems. It is designed to help organizations control occupational health and safety risks. It enables an organization to have control over, and knowledge of, all relevant hazards resulting from normal operations and abnormal situations, and improve its performance. OHSAS uses the prevention concept instead of cure. OHSAS 18001 has been designed to be compatible with ISO 9001 and ISO 14001, to help your organization meet their health and safety obligations in an efficient manner.
SCOPE AND BENEFITS OF OHSAS 18001
The standard has three objectives:
• Minimize risk to employees and others
• Improve business performance
• Assist organizations in establishing a responsible image within the marketplace
The main benefits of the standard are:
• Cost reduction through improvement in work safety
• Reduction in number of accidents and absenteeism
• Demonstrate your commitment to the protection of staff, property and plant
• Demonstrate legal compliance
• Increase in employee motivation
• Improve your safety culture
• Increased flexibility and smoother transition to changes within the organization through more transparent processes
• Increase control and reduction of hazards through the setting of objectives, targets and evolved responsibility
WHY CERTIFY WITH EUROCERT S A(Eurocert)
Eurocert S A is a Greek Independent Certification Body accredited by Greek and International Accreditation Bodies with offices in more than 14 countries in Europe and Asia. Eurocert S Apossesses highly-trained and educated auditors with great expertise and experience in their field. In particular, Eurocert has earned recognition in the field of ohsas certification by conducting audits according to OHSAS 18001 for many years.
Certification with Eurocert SA means evaluation and acceptance by an accredited and well-respected third-party professional organization.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
How long does it take to gain an OHSAS certificate?
Typically between 6-12 months, although this depends on many factors. The company must demonstrate that the management system is fully implemented and meets all the requirements of the standard.
Does it substitute public audits?
OHSAS 18001 is a voluntary certification aiming at continual improvement which cannot replace public or official audits. By organizing the company however, OHSAS 18001 ensures that the company complies with all relevant legislation and helps prevent any unexpected problems or fines during official audits.
Is it compatible with other standards?
OHSAS 18001 has been developed to be compatible with the ISO 9001 and ISO 14001.